Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Caprese Skewers

Wow, it's been a long time since I've added anything to my little cooking blog!  Work and life with a 2-year-old takes up a lot of your time I guess.  I thought I'd start up my blog again with a great summertime appetizer: caprese skewers!  I made these for a friend's birthday party and they were an easy, yummy nibble that was perfect on a warm summer day.  I wanted just a small bite so I used small craft sticks for skewering (I found these at Joann's) with two tomatoes and one mozzarella ball per skewer.  I've seen caprese skewers that use whole basil leaves but I wasn't sure if the party guests, many of them children, would be up for that much basil, so I decided to slice the basil into ribbons and garnish the skewers that way.  These were so pretty arranged on the serving platter! 

CAPRESE SKEWERS
INGREDIENTS:
1 (8 oz) container fresh mozzarella balls
1 (8 oz) container cherry/grape tomatoes
1 bunch basil leaves, thinly sliced
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Skewer mozzarella & tomatoes, alternating ingredients to fit your skewers.  Arrange skewers on serving platter and sprinkle evenly with sliced basil.

2.  Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt & pepper to taste.  Garnish platter with whole basil leaves if desired.

No comments: