Monday, August 27, 2007

Lemon Chicken Piccata

I watch cooking shows on the Foodnetwork, a LOT. My poor husband has to suffer thru it a lot of the time, although I think he's starting to like them. One of the shows he doesn't mind watching is "Everyday Italian" with Giada DeLaurentis. I'll include a pic of Giada - I don't think I need to explain WHY he doesn't mind the show. And yes, on each episode she usually shows a good amount of cleavage without any concern for splattering oil, God bless her! :)~

This is Giada's recipe for chicken piccata from foodnetwork.com. I made the recipe as-is, except I added sauteed mushrooms and unfortunately forgot about the parsley - oops! The dish has a ton of flavor - very tart from the lemons and salty from the capers, and it was fairly easy to make.
LEMON CHICKEN PICCATA

INGREDIENTS:
2 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless, butterflied then cut in half
salt & pepper to taste
Flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped


DIRECTIONS:


1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate.

3. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

4. Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter.

5. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

This looks delicious! I will have to try it.

test it comm said...

Looks good. Mushrooms and butter an lemon are a nice combination. Capers are something that I have not used all that often.