Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pumpkin Zucchini Bread

The last time I went to my friend Elizabeth's house she made some fabulous zucchini bread. I was searching for a recipe on-line and came across one that uses pumpkin and zucchini from allrecipes.com. I used it as a base and made a few adjustments to the measurements, and substituted applesauce for the butter to make it a little more healthy. It was still incredibly moist despite the lack of butter, and the smell of pumpkin and spices filled my house while it was baking - it reminded me of Christmas, in August! :)

PUMPKIN ZUCCHINI BREAD

INGREDIENTS:
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups granulated sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup zucchini, grated
1 cup walnuts, chopped

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9"x5"x3" loaf pans.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar. Beat in pumpkin, applesauce and vanilla extract.
3. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture until just combined - do not overmix. Fold in zucchini and walnuts. Pour evenly into prepared loaf pans and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.

9 comments:

test it comm said...

Pumpkin, zucchini apple sauce and walnuts sounds like a good combination.

Freckles Chick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freckles Chick said...

Delish! This makes me so excited for fall weather, too!

www.freckleschick.blogspot.com

Renea said...

Looks delicious. I can't wait to start baking fall stuff!

~Jeri Darling~ said...

i cant wait for YOU to bake me this stuff...muhahaha

noisy penguin said...

ooh, this looks fabulous.

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

OMG- we made zucchini bread this past weekend too- I have never had it before but I think I'd like it much better with pumpkin in it! Good call!

GlimmerGal said...

Yummy!! Adding this to the list to make AND You've been tagged! Check out my blog to get the details.
http://www.glimmergal.blogpot.com

Anonymous said...

This recipe was the best one that I've found yet. Using the applesauce definately adds more moisture. I did alter the recipe and added a cup more of zucchini. You cannot taste the difference. Delicious!