Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Chocolate Banana Cake

Jeremy and I recently returned from a cruise to Alaska - it was beautiful and we had a fabulous time! One of the things they had during the cruise was a midnight chocolate buffet - omg, so many chocolate desserts, it was ridiculous. Funny enough one of my favorite things at the buffet was very simple: chocolate dipped bananas. This is a cake version of that. Since we're on a "post-cruise" diet, I tried to lighten it up by using applesauce and egg whites. I didn't add the optional chocolate chips but I thought the finished cake could benefit with an extra punch of chocolate, so if you're able to indulge, definitely add the chocolate chips! :)

CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE
INGREDIENTS:
1 (18.25 oz) box chocolate cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup applesauce
2 egg whites
1 cup banana, mashed
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)


DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10 cup bundt cake pan with nonstick spray.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and beat until combined. Pour into bundt cake pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Allow to cook for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving dish. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Midnight chocolate buffet!? Can we say "heaven"? I can't wait to try this cake!

Renea said...

This looks fabulous! Glad you had fun on your cruise!

Elizabeth said...

We had a midnight buffet on our cruise as well, but it wasn't a chocolate buffet! I have some bananas that need to be used, so I may have to try this one!

test it comm said...

Chocolate and banana sounds like a good combination. A chocolate buffet sounds waaaay too good.

Teale said...

This looks amazing!!!

Teale said...

Oooh, that recipe you sent me for fruit dip/frosting sounds GREAT! I'll totally be trying this one out!

Abby said...

We just went to the fair and I was so tempted to buy one of the chocolate-dipped, nut-rolled frozen bananas. So ... this looks awesome! I've also always wanted to take a cruise to Alaska, so I find this post fascinating!

Carrie said...

How pretty (and tasty)!