Monday, February 16, 2009

Crockpot Beef Adobo

Our grocery store was having a buy 1, get 1 free deal on beef roast so I stocked up on a few. I wanted to cook one for dinner, but wasn't really in the mood for pot roast. Plus, I really wanted to use ingredients I had on hand, so I decided to try cooking the beef in an Adobo style sauce. This was adapted from this recipe from Allrecipes.com - the original recipe uses chicken, and I made a few other adjustments like adding the bay leaves and a little water based on the reviews I read from other cooks. Initially I was pretty scared about all the vinegar it calls for, but my Filipino friend Christine told me to stick to the recipe and use it all, so I did. The first few hours of cooking my kitchen definitely smelled like vinegar, but by the time it finished cooking the vinegar smell and flavor mellowed out quite a bit. I really liked this recipe, the beef turned out super tender and the sauce was great over rice. If you like soy sauce, you'll like this. We decided it could use a little kick so we drizzled just a little hot chili sauce on our plates. I'll have to try this with chicken someday too!

CROCKPOT BEEF ADOBO


INGREDIENTS:
1-2 lbs beef roast
Black pepper
Olive oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Sprinkle roast generously with black pepper. Heat a large frypan to medium high heat, drizzle with olive oil and sear roast, turning every couple minutes, until all sides are browned. Place in crockpot.
2. Add soy sauce, vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaves and onion to crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until beef is tender and falls apart easily. Serve over rice, with hot chili sauce if you like.

No comments: