Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dark Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons

One of my favorite chefs is Ina Garten, aka "Barefoot Contessa". I envy her beautiful house in Hamptons and gaggle of adoring friends. This is Ina's coconut macaroon recipe that I took a bit further by dipping half the cookie in dark chocolate - because most things can benefit from being dipped in chocolate. :) The cookies spread out a bit more than I would have liked, so I think next time I will try adding a bit of cream of tartar to the egg whites to help stabilize them a bit more.

DARK CHOCOLATE-DIPPED COCONUT MACAROONS



INGREDIENTS:
14 oz sweetened shredded coconut
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 extra large egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Crisco shortening

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

3. Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper, about two teaspoons per cookie. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until just light golden brown. Allow to cool a few minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

4. Melt dark chocolate and shortening using double boiler method, stirring frequently, until smooth and creamy. Carefully dip half of each macaroon in chocolate and place on parchment paper until chocolate is cool and firm. Serve immediately or store in airtight container.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Those look great! I keep wanting to make some kind of cookie dipped in chocolate, I'm just always afraid of making a mess. I need to be brave.... LOL

~Amber~ said...

These look so good. My hubby would love them.

BTW - I want to respond to your bundt cake post but I can't figure out how to since there are non yet. :( It looks and sounds awesome.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.