Thursday, November 20, 2008

Nutella Thumbprints

Ahhh, Nutella! I could eat this stuff straight from the jar (and have, I'm not ashamed to admit). If you haven't had it, Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread, and one of the most delish things ever invented if you ask me. I've wanted to find a way to use it in a cookie and figured it might make a good filling for a thumbprint cookie for a cookie swap. I love thumbprint cookies, it's like having a dessert within a dessert! Overall I liked this cookie a lot - the dough is a basic sugar cookie dough, not terribly sweet, which is good since Nutella has a pretty strong, rich flavor. I added hazelnuts for some crunch and to make it look a little fancier.


INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 jar Nutella spread
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped


DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add into butter mixture and beat until just combined. Form loosely into a flat disk and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour until chilled.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. To prepare cookies - take heaping teaspoons of chilled cookie dough and form loosely into balls. Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Return remaining dough to fridge to stay chilled until ready for the next batch. Using a small spoon or your fingertip, make an indentation in the middle of each cookie and spoon 1 teaspoon of Nutella into each indentation. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

2 comments:

Hungry Janey said...

Oh wow. These look SO good! Definitely adding them to my 'to do' list.

Courtney said...

These look delicious! Did you toast the hazelnuts before adding them to the cookies?