Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken and Shrimp Skewers

Sometimes you're in the mood for chicken, sometimes you're in the mood for shrimp. Sometimes, you want both. This original recipe from Cooking Light uses chicken thighs, but I used shrimp and chunks of chicken breast on skewers for mine. The rub has a good amount of heat to it, balanced out by the sweet and tangy glaze you brush on while cooking. Jeremy and I both agreed that we liked it better on the chicken than the shrimp - I think it overpowered the shrimp a little. Next time I'll try it on boneless chicken thighs like the recipe suggests. I'm including the recipe just for the rub/glaze for you to use on whatever meat you fancy! :)

SPICY HONEY-BRUSHED CHICKEN AND SHRIMP SKEWERS
INGREDIENTS:
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl combine first 6 ingredients. Add meat (chicken, shrimp, etc) and toss to coat. Grill or boil until meat is almost cooked through - brush with honey glaze and continue to cook, brushing frequently with glaze, until meat is done.

No comments: