Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Orange Salmon

I've been trying to change up our dinners a bit. It's been mostly chicken with some beef or maybe pork for a long time and it's getting a little boring. Jeremy LOVES fish, especially salmon. I don't dislike fish, but I'm not always the biggest fan either. I got a couple nice pieces of salmon at the grocery store and decided to try this recipe from Cooking Light. Now Jeremy is notorious (although he's getting better) for saying things like, "It's not bad" after he tastes a new recipe. That drives me nuts and eventually I had to tell him so - say it's good, or bad, but what is, "Not bad"??? After we had this he told me about 4 times how delicious it was and that I'd have to make it again, soon. Wow! I really liked it too.


The original recipe is called "Sweet Orange Salmon" but I felt like that was misleading - the rub definitely has a kick to it. I also omitted the coriander from the original recipe and added a splash of orange juice over the salmon just as it came out of the oven - next time I might simmer some of the leftover rub mixture with orange juice to make a sauce. I broiled this on a rack that is a couple notches down from the highest and it came out perfectly.

SWEET AND SPICY ORANGE SALMON


INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice


DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat broiler to high. Coat a broiler-safe pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a small bowl combine first 7 ingredients. Rub both sides of salmon fillets with spice mixture. Broil for 8-10 minutes or until salmon flakes when tested with fork. Drizzle with orange juice before serving.

1 comment:

IdahoGirl said...

This sounds wonderful! I'll have to give it a try!

Jim does the same thing....with the "okay" or "not bad". It drives me NUTS!