Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hunk-a Hunk-a Elvis Cake

I have a cookbook called "Are You Hungry Tonight? Elvis' Favorite Recipes". I love the fact that such a thing even exists. It's full of good ol' Southern comfort food, with an extensive section on exactly how Elvis liked his bacon cooked (well done, please). Of course there's a recipe for the infamous peanut butter banana sandwich he so dearly loved. It got me thinking that those flavors might make for a tastey cake. This one's for you, King...

HUNK-A HUNK-A ELVIS CAKE

INGREDIENTS:

For Peanut Butter Fluff frosting:
1 (1.5oz) package Jello sugar free/fat free instant Vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 (12oz) container Cool Whip Light

For cake:
1 (18.25oz) box Golden Vanilla flavor cake mix
1 1/3 cups bananas, mashed
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup peanut butter chips

For garnish:
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts


DIRECTIONS:

1. To prepare frosting - in a medium bowl using a handheld mixer gradually blend instant pudding mix and skim milk until well incorporated. Add peanut butter and mix until well combined. Add Cool Whip light and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.

3. In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, bananas, 1/3 cup peanut butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Fold in peanut butter chips. Spoon into bundt pan, spreading evenly.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool.

5. Invert cooled cake onto serving dish and frost top with Peanut Butter Fluff frosting. For garnish, warm peanut butter in microwave for 15 seconds - stir and drizzle in zigzag pattern across cake. Sprinkle with peanuts.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Your blog makes me drool everytime I open it

Elizabeth said...

This looks AMAZING! My sister is making it for her husband this weekend. We spent a good 10 minutes on the phone drooling over your recipes!

Liz Ramirez said...

I just wanted to say that your blog is awesome. I saw some recipes that I'm going to try and now I marked it under my favorites to check out all the time. Keep up the good work!