Sunday, June 17, 2007

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Happy Father's Day everyone! I hope those who had a chance to spend some time with their dads took advantage of it and had a great day. Recently my husband's family sadly lost a few close family members and it's really reminded me how precious life is and what a small amount of time we have with the people we love. Although I had to work on Father's Day, I was bound and determined to see my dad so I made dinner the night before to bring down to my parent's house after work. Nothing says, "I love you Dad!" like a ginormous lasagna and a dessert you know he'll love, I say! Everyone has their favorite way to make lasagna so I won't bother posting a recipe, but here's a pic for your viewing pleasure. Mine was made with beef and Italian sausage in a burgundy wine marinara, with lots of Ricotta, Mozzarella and Provolone cheeses. We had breadsticks and Ceasar salad as well:



For dessert I wanted to make something I knew my dad would really like. He's always loved rhubarb so I decided to make a strawberry rhubarb cobbler with a sweet oatmeal topping. It has a great sweet/tangy flavor and the topping is like an oatmeal cookie!

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COBBLER


INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
4 cups diced rhubarb

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl mix granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, strawberries and rhubarb. Place the mixture in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

3. In a medium bowl (using a pastry blender) mix flour, brown sugar, butter, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg until crumbly. Stir in chopped walnuts. Crumble evenly on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.

4. Place pan on middle rack of oven and place a separate baking sheet on the rack below to protect in case of overflow. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until topping is crisp and lightly browned. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.

6 comments:

Cara said...

mmm... I still need to get around to making something with rhubarb. Meanwhile, I am "tagging" you to find out more about you!
http://carascravings.blogspot.com/2007/06/ive-been-tagged.html

Carrie said...

You have been tagged, check out my latest post for the information.

MrsSisler said...

My mom loves rhubarb...I've always wanted to try it!

Oh, I was gonna tag you too! I guess that means you have to participate! =)

Renea said...

Wow, both of those look amazing! I'm so hungry now!!

Renea said...

btw-I tagged you too!
sweet-savory-southern.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Your lasagna looks fantastic!! I make mine with sausage too.

And I'm goinna tag you to, why not :)

http://jessicasfoodspot.blogspot.com