Sunday, July 15, 2007

Blueberry Almond Cake

What?! A blueberry recipe, on my blog?? Gasp! What can I say - I love my husband, he loves blueberries, hence I bake with a lot of blueberries. Plus it's a great time of year for them - they're fresh and inexpensive! This is a dense poundcake type of blueberry cake with a little crunch from sliced almonds, frosted with whipped cream cheese frosting.

BLUEBERRY ALMOND CAKE


INGREDIENTS:
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup blueberries

1 can Duncan Hines whipped cream cheese frosting



DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8x8 baking pan.

2. In a large bowl combine melted butter and granulated sugar, beat until smooth. Beat in egg, sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Fold in almonds and blueberries then pour into baking pan - spread evenly.

3. Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting with cream cheese frosting and cutting into squares.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks great as always!

GlimmerGal said...

Yum! I am making this tonight. I bought a ton of blueberries over the weekend at a farmers market and thought of muffins but this looks so much better. Thanks for sharing.

~Amber~ said...

Stop the insanity already! You and all your sweets are going to be me in big trouble. :)

This sounds absolutely wonderful!!!!! I have some frozen blueberries calling this recipes name from the freezer.

~Jeri Darling~ said...

You make me want to be a blueberry fan...im not normally..but darn it, your food looks groovy!

Kayte said...

wow! this looks amazing! i need to try this someday.

Annie said...

Okay, that looks AMAZING! Stop tempting me! :)

Cara said...

to the tune of "shoop"... you make me wanna bake, baby bake!

test it comm said...

Another great looking blueberry recipe! This is perfect timing as blueberry season is just staring here.

GlimmerGal said...

I did end up making this yesterday and it was excellent. Next time I may leave out the almonds. In my oven it took me 40 minutes to bake until done. It was really beautiful and tasty. I will post a picture in my blog with a link to yours for the recipe later in the week.

Thistlemoon said...

This looks so beautiful and delicious and light! Perfect for the summer!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!