Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Breakfast Trail Mix Bars

My husband Jeremy is working at a Surveying job during his summer break from school. It's a pretty physically demanding job, and we found that the store bought breakfast bars he was taking for breakfast just weren't filling him up. So I did a little searching on-line for different versions of breakfast/energy bars and pieced together a recipe of my own. These are really moist and chewy, and with all the fiber and protein my hubby says they keep him full for hours.

BREAKFAST TRAIL MIX BARS


INGREDIENTS:
2 cups trail mix
1 (7oz) bag Sun-maid dried mixed fruit, coarsely chopped
7 cups high fiber cereal flakes (recommended - Smart Start)
1 (18oz) jar all natural peanut butter
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered milk


DIRECTIONS:

1. Spray a 9x13 baking pan lightly with nonstick spray.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine trail mix, dried fruit and cereal. In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine peanut butter, corn syrup and granulated sugar. Heat in microwave until warmed thru, about 2 minutes, stopping to stir frequently. Add vanilla extract and powdered milk, stirring until thoroughly combined.

3. Add peanut butter mixture to cereal mixture - mix thoroughly until coated. Spoon into prepared baking pan and press evenly. Allow to cool before cutting into bars - store in refrigerator.

3 comments:

Hungry Janey said...

These look great! And you could do so many variations!

Unknown said...

I love these baby! Thanks for making them for me.

zlamushka said...

Hi Debbie,

You have a beautiful blog here going on Those pictures are fabulous. I definitelly have you in my RSS reader :) Thanx a lot, I was just looking for a breakfast-to-go cereal bars.... Well, I guess I just found them.

Thanx again :)